EKOenergy is an international ecolabel for electricity. Electricity sold with EKOenergy fulfils strict environmental criteria and raises funds for new renewable energy projects. The ecolabel is a not-for-profit initiative of the EKOenergy Network, a group of more than 40 environmental organisations from more than 30 countries. EKOenergy is recognised by the Greenhouse Gas Protocol, CDP and by the USGBC to use for LEED certification of green buildings.
Buying Guarantees of Origin with this ecolabel guarantees that the renewable energy adheres to the ecolabel’s requirements.
EKOenergy goes one step further than directives and government regulations. Electricity sold with EKOenergy:
- Guarantees renewable energy from hydropower, wind power, solar power, bioenergy or geothermal energy
- Assures sustainable and nature-friendly energy. EKOenergy applies strict sustainability requirements to power production. Non-European biomass is excluded and hydropower can only be sold as EKOenergy after consultation with local environmental organisations. For each MWh of hydropower sold as EKOenergy, minimum EUR 0.10 is paid into the EKOenergy Environmental Fund to finance river restoration projects, building fish passages and restoring spawning grounds
- Contributes to new renewable energy projects: for each MWh of EKOenergy sold, at least EUR 0.10 s allocated to EKOenergy’s Climate Fund. It is used to finance new renewable energy projects, managed by experienced organisations, in developing countries. These projects could not happen without these contributions
The Greenhouse Gas Protocol Scope 2 (chapter 11) specifically mentions the EKOenergy’s Climate Fund as ways for companies to make extra efforts to spur the deployment of renewable energy.
In CDP’s technical notes for accounting of Scope 2, CDP recommends EKOenergy as an instrument for companies to show leadership.
LEED, a standard for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings, recommends EKOenergy-labelled electricity as a sound method of working towards points for LEED certification.
EKOenergy is an international network of environmental organisations promoting the use of sustainable electricity.
EKOenergy’s ambition is to:
- stimulate the development of renewable energy
- contribute to the protection of nature
- inform consumers about the origin of their electricity
- mobilize the positive energy of thousands of individuals, groups and companies that share our ambition, and to get them involved
- join forces with consumer organisations, development organisations, electricity companies, agencies and many others