“International companies are demanding electricity from renewable energy sources. With I-REC they have an internationally valid tracking system to document green power consumption in locations where this was previously not possible,” says Tom Lindberg, CEO at Ecohz. “I-REC solves a big problem for companies committed to using renewable electricity in all locations around the world. I-REC increases the speed in which companies integrate renewables into their sustainability mix and changes their energy behaviour. By creating a global solution, and offering it through our local partners in Asia, we are in a position to offer a one-stop-shop for global sustainable energy solutions,” adds Lindberg.
Before I-REC there was no commonly accepted standard to document the origin of the electricity used around the world. A complex mix of national and regional certificate systems have been the only option. I-REC is the first dedicated scheme in Asia, recognized by the GHG Protocol, to document electricity consumption from renewable energy sources region-wide in Asia. Guarantees of Origin in Europe, REC in North America and I-REC in Asia are important mechanisms for companies to reach their goals of reducing emissions and becoming carbon neutral.
The International REC Standard (I-REC) is a new global power certificate that documents the renewable energy consumption.
- I-REC is internationally recognized.
- Companies get one common instrument that guarantees claims to documented renewable electricity consumption across different countries.
- I-REC simplifies customer claims and eliminates the risk of double counting.
- I-REC removes the bureaucracy so companies can easily buy renewables.
- I-REC contributes to the creation of a fair and consumer driven electricity market. Just like RECs in North America and Guarantees of Origin in Europe, I-REC will help companies become energy independent through renewable energy.
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognised as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,650 offices and laboratories around the world. http://www.sgs.com