EKOenergy is a global non-profit ecolabel for renewable energy. It can be combined with all types of sourcing (Energy Attribute Certificates (EACs), PPAs, own-production, green-tariffs etc.) The ecolabel guarantees that the renewable energy fulfils additional criteria and raises funds for new renewable energy projects in developing countries.
EKOenergy goes one step further than directives and government regulations. Electricity sold with EKOenergy:
- Guarantees renewable energy from hydropower, wind power, solar power, bioenergy or geothermal energy.
- EKOenergy encourages and helps consumers of renewable energy to communicate about their purchases. Consumers of EKOenergy-labelled energy can use EKOenergy’s logo in their publications and on products made with EKOenergy.
- By buying EKOenergy-labelled energy, you support NGOs to campaign for renewable energy in a growing number of countries.
- Assures sustainable and nature-friendly energy. EKOenergy applies strict sustainability requirements to power production. For each MWh of hydropower sold as EKOenergy, minimum EUR 0.10 is paid into the EKOenergy Environmental Fund to finance river restoration projects, build fish passages and restore spawning grounds.
- Contributes to new renewable energy projects: for each MWh of EKOenergy sold, at least EUR 0.10 s allocated to EKOenergy’s Climate Fund. It is used to finance new renewable energy projects, managed by experienced organisations, in developing countries. These projects could not happen without these contributions.
EKOenergy all over the world
The EKOenergy ecolabel brings additionality to renewable energy certificates, such as Guarantees of Origin (GOs), RECs and I-RECs. EKOenergy was launched in Northern Europe in 2013 and is now gradually expanding its global reach. Driven largely by corporate consumers’ increased interest in renewable energy, EKOenergy is now available in more than 40 countries. In most of these countries, the EKOenergy secretariat and their supporters share information in local language.
The Greenhouse Gas Protocol Scope 2 (chapter 11) specifically mentions the EKOenergy’s Climate Fund as ways for companies to make extra efforts to spur the deployment of renewable energy.
In CDP’s technical notes for accounting of Scope 2, CDP recommends EKOenergy as an instrument for companies to show leadership.
LEED, a standard for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings, recommends EKOenergy-labelled electricity as a sound method of working towards points for LEED certification.
In 2020 the UN featured the EKOenergy label in a publication about good examples of SDG implementation and in 2021 the European Parliament awarded EKOenergy the European Citizen’s Prize.
10 years anniversary
Congratulations! The ecolabel celebrates 10 years on the 23rd of February 2023. For the past 10 years, EKOenergy and Ecohz have collaborated and made a difference.
Here are some achievements of EKOenergy:
- granted more than 2.2 million EUR to renewable projects in developing countries
- in addition to electricity expanded their activities to cover renewable gas, heat and cold.
Consume renewable electricity that meets rigorous environmental regulations. International organisations award these badges to power plants that respect ecosystems and raise funds for new renewable energy projects.
TÜV NORD A75
TÜV SÜD – EE01
Ecohz offers a range of products that multiply the positive effects of EACs. Our products guarantee renewable energy production follows strict environmental guidelines and channel investments into added renewable capacity.